At 07:35 PM 8/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Doesn't the 400 already have a subset of unix commands?
>
>If putting a different feel is the goal, I think the thing needed the
>most is to put a true, native gui on it, without sacrificing
>stability.
>
>I personally can live without it, but that, more than anything else
>would help the platform, however it is done, whether it's java, linux
>or whatever.
>
>John Carr wrote:
>>
>> Question
>>
>> How many of you think it would benefit having  affinity between the AS/400
>> and Linux ?
>> Maybe as a supported client?     Maybe on the IPCS?
>> Would it give the AS/400 a   different   "Feel"  to the non-AS/400 crowd?

There is available a shell lookalike for the 400, called QSHELL. The
interpreter is native (option 30 of 5769SS1) on v4r2 and there's a beta
PRPQ for v4r1. Would you believe shell scripts? with tilde expansion? etc.?
Yikes!!!

To quote:

>qsh has many features that make it like the Korn shell (ksh) and it is
upwardly
>                  compatible with the Bourne shell (sh).

Ever since we got /home and / (root) on the 400, I knew we were a Unix box
all along!  <vbg>

Check QSHELL out at <http://www.softmall.ibm.com:80/as400/qshell>

Uffda!

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(612) 371-1111 x480