  • Subject: Re: PC tool to access 400 data
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 16:44:32 -0700

Bob Clark wrote:

> Yes, I was freaked out a little at first.  Then I got together with a couple
>of users and
> we ran some tests.  Apparently the users cannot link to any files that they
>are not
> authorized to.  I feel a little bit better now,  However, I was wondering if
>there is any
> way to write an ODBC exit program on the AS/400 to limit who can use ODBC for
>data
> access.  Does anybody know?

Bob,

Yes, this is what exit programs do well.  To stop ODBC you need to plug both
the DRDA and the
Remote SQL servers (the latter has several functions).    Be aware that if you
are vulnerable
to ODBC, you are also vulnerable to file Transfer, DDM, remote command, etc, so
you'll want
exit points to plug those holes too.

jte

(P.S. I'm a vendor of exit point solutions, feel free to call if you'd rather
just purchase a
solution.)

--
John Earl
PowerTech Toolworks

Riley Nichole Earl, Born 7/6/98 - 8lb 11oz.  Already an AS/400 fan!