  • Subject: Re: Design shift of view
  • From: "Rob Dixon" <rob.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:12:48 +0100

Walden

You may have missed the original thread, started by Scott Cornell -

"it's not just the box dummy - it's just a house of cards."

The ability to move displays, etc..  into production without downtime is
only one part of that and this thread.

Part of my response to Scott's original post was that if you put the rules
in the same database as the data to which they apply, rather than in
programs as at present, then you could change the database structure in
real-time, whilst applications are live.

I have implemented such a solution which I call a Neural Database.  Both
the productivity gains for development and the response times in production
are stunning.  Changing the database structure in real-time has no impact
on the response times of other users of the database.  In addition, you are
using much fewer cpu cycles for compilation.

No upgrade is required.  Your managers can laugh all the way to the bank.

Rob Dixon