>Hello,
>
>I understand that DSPOBJD retrieves the Source File/Member from which the
>object was created. But, my concern is that the source could have been
>modified after that object was created. Now, how do I ensure that the
>current version of the source was the one used for creating that object?
>
>One way, as I see it, is to compare the 'Create Date' of the object and the
>'Last Change Date' of the source member to ensure that the source member
>was not modified after the object was created. Is there any other reliable
>way of doing it?
>
>Thanks,
>...Mani

For historical objects, you have to take a certain amount of risk...  hope
and pray that the source really -does- match the object (based on the
dates)...  and use a good test environment!

Going forward, you need to create or buy a Change Management System.  The
main thing to do is to enforce strict rules of access for the production
copy of both the source code and the object:  Programmers can look at but
not touch production source code; they can read production data (careful
'bout payroll!), and can execute production programs (but not over the live
files!)

You -can- build a pretty effective CMS system by yourself:  You 'just' need
a command or two to make it easier to move source and object code into
production.  We wrote 2 commands:  ARCHIVE and ARCHIVESRC to assist us.
They work much like MOVOBJ and MOVSRCMBR, but if the object already exists,
the old object is renamed as a 'prior' version.

Then there was the 'temporary' command, INSTALLQD (Install Quick 'n'
Dirty).  This wrapped an envelope around both archive commands, and was
only to be used for a couple of months.  Of course, we used that command
for about 3-4 years!  I always wish I had taken the time to add more
editing; but it wasn't worth it for a 'temporary' command.  (:

Now, however, we use the Aldon/CMS to control access to the production side
of things, and our commands are mostly unused.  But we used them for
several years with good results at a minimum price.

The biggest job is to sell IS management on the need for control over the
production environment.  Once that happens, everything else is "easy."

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com