  • Subject: Re: job testing
  • From: HAVEAJOB <HAVEAJOB@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:29:53 EDT

In a message dated 04/28/1998 7:01:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
david@midrange.com writes:
<< Dave:
  This is skirting on the ragged edge of the guidelines... I've already had
 one person question if you weren't recruiting in MIDRANGE-L.
 Please take employment related discussion to MIDRANGE-JOBS
  david >>

I cc'ed this to Midrange-Jobs as well as Midrange-L because I thought I was
asking about issues relevant issues of both lists.

<<This message is in violation of the list.  Please read the guidelines!!!!
Steven Sharpe       --  steven_sharpe@bigfoot.com

FIRST   "YOU" know this is wrong and a violation of the lists use!
SECOND  that in mind  it does not create a professional image
THIRD Apologies will exacerbate the  situation  for you.
[##] more
Glenn-Ericson@att.net (Glenn Ericson)>>

Whoa.  Didn't expect a firestorm here.  I'm man enough to admit it when I make
a mistake - I don't own a single pencil without an eraser. I really think I
was in the guidelines here, but perhaps I didn't clarify myself well enough.
For all those who want to slam me up against the wall, go back and read very
closely what I asked for help about.  Don't "read between the lines" because I
didn't PUT anything between the lines.  I specifically asked for help
regarding salary averages and testing for skill sets.  I fail to see how I
could have been more explicit...I did try to give some details to put the
situation in context.

<<Several factors:  they are a fairly large shop, they are in a very low
cost of living area, their salaries are MUCH lower than average, their area is
hard to recruit people into, they have salary equity concerns within their
shop, they
are a consortium essentially not for profit so new budget dollars every year
are hard to come by, etc.  the bottom line is that they are losing people
through attrition and losses to other companies.  They recognize their
problems but just can't seem to get thier salaries up to par fast enough,
mainly due to the conservative nature of their business and the very upper
level management's failure to address this issue in times past.>>

Realistically, does this seem like I am actively recruiting for this
company???? The point here is that I CAN'T help them.  I'm not trying to find
them new people for my client here because I couldn't ethically recommend it
for most candidates...because they can on average make 10 grand more just
about anywhere else for doing the same jobs.

What I need help on is helping them structure a way to determine skill sets
before the hire, and how much to compensate for those skills - certainly
relevant issues that would apply here as well as the Midrange-Jobs list.
These factors are not directly recruiting related.  If you guys feel this is
in the "gray" area - please for once try to be a little more light-hearted.
My intention here is to give my client the tools to hire more people at the
highest possible salary - and that's certainly good for the midrange community
in general.  Take the long view.

Incidentally, for all those out there who think all recruiters are slimeballs,
I have never made a dime off this particular client and it is unlikely that I
ever will.  But, I feel that I ought to have a solid reputation for customer
service and I'm trying to access all of my resources to assist them.  For
those who wish to boot me off the list for asking for help, shame on you.
This is a forum where one can access knowledge related to midrange issues and
that's all I asked for.

Dave Brown
800-239-1410 x2205
haveajob@aol.com