  • Subject: MIDRANGE-L Digest V2 #137
  • From: Jeffrey Stevens <jssteven@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:03:29 -0500

Jack,

Sure, wait for the PTF's for V3R7 to come out, then use the TELNET enhancements
to support
printer passthru.  Really good stuff.  This is out as part of V4R2, and is
being retrofit to V3R2, V3R7 and V4R1.

When do you get the PTFs?

   V3R7      -> 1Q98
   V3R2/V4R1 -> 2Q98

TELNET Printer Pass-Through Mode
--------------------------------

The TELNET printer pass-through mode (TPPT) allows the AS/400 user with a
TELNET client that supports printer emulation, to attach printer devices
on the AS/400 over the network.  This support is accomplished by
negotiating the 3812 or 5553 device type support with the remote client
TELNET application.

If you intend to use the TCP/IP TELNET printer pass-through, check with
the client vendor or with third parties that are known to provide 5250
clients for the availability of the printer pass-through function.

Clients that support this function are:

  * IBM Client Access for Win95
  * Personal Communications Version 4 Release 2

TELNET Printer Pass-Through (TPPT) delivers the printer data stream
between the two systems as either EBCDIC or ASCII depending on the
preferences of the requesting client.

This topic explains the special considerations for a TELNET user
operating in TPPT mode.

            Workstation                               AS/400
  +-------------+-------+--------+        +-------------+-------------+
  | Network     |       |        |        |             |             |
  | Printer     |       |        |        |             |             |
  | Description | Win   | Client |        |   TELNET    | Virtual     |
  +-------------| 95/NT | Access |        |   Server    | Printer     |
  | Physical    |       |        |        |   Support   | Description |
  | Printer     |       |        |        |             |             |
  | Description |       |        |        |             |             |
  +----+--------+-------+----+---+        +-----+-------+-------------+
       |                     |                  |
  +----+-----+               |                  |     +----------+
  | Local    |               |   TCP/IP         |     | Network  |
  | Printer  |               +-> Network <------+---->| Printer  |
  | Device   |                                        | Device   |
  +----------+                                        +----------+

  Figure 1. TELNET Printer Pass-Through-Mode Environment

TPPT printing support can only be negotiated with a TELNET client
application on a system that supports TELNET printer emulation, for
example, Client Access for Win95.

TELNET printer pass-through mode supports the following generic EBCDIC
printer devices:

  * IBM-3812-1   for single byte character set support (SBCS)
  * IBM-5553-B01 for double byte character set devices (DBCS)

In addition, either of these two generic device types can be more
completely specified by requesting the AS/400 Host Print Transform (HPT)
function and selecting the specific manufacture type, the printer data
stream is sent in ASCII.

Security Considerations for TELNET Printer Pass-Through Mode
Printer sessions are always made active, immediately after session
initialization, which means that sign-on attempts are not necessary.

In Version 4 Release 2, the following level of support has been added
with regard to security of printer devices:

  * You have the ability to deny connections through TELNET User Exits

TELNET Printer Pass-Through Mode Server to CA Win95 TELNET Client

This topic describes some practical experiences of a TPPT mode TELNET
server with the Client Access for Win95 client.

TPPT Mode Server to Client Access Win95 TELNET Client

The IBM Client Access for Win95 client provides both display emulation,
5250 full-screen TELNET client, and printer emulation.  A printer session
can be started by selecting:

  1.  "IBM for AS/400 Client Access", "Accessories", "Start or Configure
      Session" from the program start menu
  2.  Select the name of an AS/400 system to connect to from the System
      name pull-down

Use the workstation ID field to specifically request an AS/400 virtual
device name or leave it blank and the TELNET server will auto-select a
compatible virtual device (QPADEVxxxx) and return the name on the printer
control panel.

For type of emulation:

  1.  Choose printer
  2.  Click on the set-up box to bring up the PC5250 printer emulation
      set-up screen

>From the set-up screen, you may configure things such as font, the AS/400
message queue where printer messages are to be sent, and the "transform
print data to ASCII on AS/400" (HPT) host function.  If HPT is selected,
this enables other configuration items, such as printer model and media
tray selection options.  There is also an auto-reconnect option, and an
option to override the default AS/400 TELNET port number (23).

The session is ended by selecting "communication" followed by
"disconnect" from the menu bar.

Jeffrey Stevens - AS/400 TCP/IP (LPD/WSG/TELNET)
Work: jssteven@us.ibm.com
Personal: jstevens@stny.lrun.com

---------------------- Forwarded by Jeffrey Stevens/Endicott/IBM on 03-13-98
03:16 PM ---------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:02:10 -0600
From: "Jack Mullins" <jmullins@sundash.com>
Subject: TCP/IP printing to PC printers

Hello All:

We're running V3R7 with networked PCs via TCP/IP and Windows95 as =
workstations.  We want to be able to print to our PC printers from the =
AS/400.  We use CA for Windows95 and we're not running AnyNet.  Can you =
give me some recommendations on how this might be accomplished or point =
me in the right direction so I can do some more research into the =
problem?  What are some of the pitfalls in doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Jack Mullins
Sun Industries, Inc.
2409 Industrial Drive