It's funny how Fortune 1000 companies think the entire world revolves
around them. Somebody at Ford Motor company decides to switch to NT
and therefore its settled -- the whole world's migrating to NT
Thursday next.

Of course, after you've worked in this industry as long as me, you
realize that two years from now somebody else at Ford Motor will
decide to switch to _____. (I'm only about two weeks ahead of my time,
so it's still a mystery to me what's going to be *H*O*T* two years
from now.)

If memory serves me, a couple of months ago Merril Lynch made a BIG
(and it always is big with Fortune 1000 companies) announcement that
they were switching to NT -- and boy was it going to save them mega
bucks!! Funny thing, back in 1995 Merril Lynch made another BIG
announcement that they were switching to NeXT -- and boy was it going
to save them mega bucks!! (Gosh, they could acquire Goldman, Sachs
with all of *that* savings.)

The problem with Fortune 1000s is that they have more money than
common sense.

They thrash about from platform to platform, from OS to OS, and I'm
still waiting for someone, anyone, to ask me what I need as a
programmer to program more effectively. They always tell me that
they're switching platforms for my own good. Well, as Paul Newman said
in the movie, "Captain, I sure wish you'd stop being so good to me."