At 09:20 PM 2/18/98 -0600, you wrote:
>At 11:53 PM 2/17/98 -0500, John Carr wrote:
>
>>First of all CL hasn't been enhanced in 20 years(this year). I believe
>>that was the first time some wrote the following;
>
>But John, CL has been enhanced. Back in V2, IBM added the %BIN BIF. You
wanted more than that????

I didn't want to jump in on this one, but I guess I should.  There have
been many little CL enhancements through the years.  There was a major
architectural change to CL made in Release 3 of CPF, which made it run
better and provide IBM a foundation for many future enhancements.  The
biggest enhancement to CL, the ability to process a file other than a
display file was added in Release 5 of CPF.  OPNQRYF was a significant
enhancement also, which came in Release 8 of CPF.

IBM has had no major interest in improving CL.  First of all from their
limited perception, they get no money for it.  (Although in fact they do,
because it is a major part of the value proposition of OS/400).

The current IBM executive thinking is that the language of choice for
everything in a few years is JAVA, and nothing should be invested anywhere
else.  I think that JAVA is important, but any IBMer that tells you that
JAVA will be the language of choice for everything on the AS/400, probably
last visited Rochester for a lobotomy.

If I had one any only one request for an enhancement in CL, it would be
better file handling (e.g.:  multiple files, the ability to do a READP, the
ability to re-read a file after CPF0864).

I wouldn't make any big bets about CL getting major improvements until the
JAVA hype passes, as it will.  Probably JAVA will be around longer than SOM.

The main problems with convincing IBM to enhance CL:
-       No obvious payback to them
-       There's no IBM exec that understands the power and beauty of the
language.  For that matter, they were stupid enough to sell TAA Tools!
-       CL does not provide optimal performance.  If you look at some of Jim
Sloan performance comparison pitches that he has done at COMMON, you will
be under whelmed with CL's performance.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.