  • Subject: Re: Upgrade Options
  • From: Chuck Lewis <clewis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:10:05 -0800

Gary Feinstein wrote:

> GULP!  I just recently had a user with a runaway job that ate up
> almost
> all of my existing disk space.  When I left work that day, I was at
> 86%.  My system paged me in the middle of the night warning me that we
>
> were at almost 98%!  Whew...good thing I was able to dial in and do an
>
> endjob in time.  I thought everyone would like a good horror story!
> :-)

HOW ironic - after I posted that, we zipped up to 90 % + and started
getting "Serious storage may exist" messages. I deleted a test
environment (it had been saved earlier that morning and the person that
uses it is in St. Thomas, so she certainly won't be needing it right now
<BG>. That USUALLY gives us back 10 % but not this time... "Someone" was
running a job that was copy files in S2K stuff. The job ran nearly 7
hours and even though it was supposed to "add some records, but not a
lot" - it added 87 files totaling 26,085,132 records !!!!

You know what they say about guys exaggerating size - this worked in
reverse ;-)...

So we sit at 87.3913 of 117.7 gb. As it turns out, these are files in
S2K that hold the user old query information and just grow and grow and
grow. I am assured by my co-workers that this will be addressed, both in
the test enviroment they were creating as well as in the live. Live and
learn !!!

Chuck

"The opinions that are shown, are exclusively my own. All my own, all my

own..." and NOT my employer's (with apologies to Emerson, Lake and
Palmer)...