   While i agree with most of what you say - yes, OS/400 is one of
the best OS's i've seen, besides of being very stable, reliable and
scalable- i can't agree with one of your affirmations. Yes, AS/400
will run rings around any NT you will throw at it, here and in the
future, but dont you think saying that it will do the same to unix
a little far fetched? "very large transaction volumes and very large
data base needs" are catered as well by most unix flavours, with
matching reliability and stability, not to mention their large
cientifical/engineering processing capabilities. And if you mentioned
DB2 as a plus on AS/400, may i recall you that DB2 is from Ibm, and
that Ibm also has Aix machines running the same DB2. I know by
experience that for most AS/400 men its easy to dismiss unix, but
that is, at least from what i see, the results of marketing people
doing their job. People that worked and works with both
environments (AS/400 & Unix) can point good differences at both,
but a lot unites them, and those capabilities you denied for unix
are both worlds plus points, even more when compared with NT. To
conclude, i believe you forgot to mention your AS/400 bias, when you
mentioned the SQL one. ;-)

   I hope this wasnt too off-topic, people.

Best wishes,

Pedro Manuel Rodrigues

 >Well, to just relay the traditional message; you should choose
the >best application for the client's need.  The platform should be
>considered only after the proper solution is defined.. then it can
>mitigate a decision (prior experience, existing infrastructure
>investment, etc.)

<Actually, if you and your client are on the cutting edge, choose
>BOTH! The AS/400 will now support an Intel board that will run NT4.0
>and share the AS/400 file system and security interfaces!  I still
<think that the AS/400 OS/400 is one of the strongest and most stable
>OS ever to hit a processor (been working with em since they first
>shipped)..... but NT does have the nicer presentation and somewhat
<easier to use (depends on your background). For very large
>transaction volumes and very large data base needs, the AS/400 will
<run rings around any NT platform (or Unix for that matter) IMHO.