  • Subject: Re: Why NT and NOT AS/400
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 02:27:15 EST

Pedro,

<<snip, snip original message>>

>    While i agree with most of what you say - yes, OS/400 is one of
>  the best OS's i've seen, besides of being very stable, reliable and
>  scalable- i can't agree with one of your affirmations. Yes, AS/400
>  will run rings around any NT you will throw at it, here and in the
>  future, but dont you think saying that it will do the same to unix
>  a little far fetched? "very large transaction volumes and very large
>  data base needs" are catered as well by most unix flavours, with
>  matching reliability and stability, not to mention their large
>  cientifical/engineering processing capabilities. And if you mentioned
>  DB2 as a plus on AS/400, may i recall you that DB2 is from Ibm, and
>  that Ibm also has Aix machines running the same DB2. I know by
>  experience that for most AS/400 men its easy to dismiss unix, but
>  that is, at least from what i see, the results of marketing people
>  doing their job. People that worked and works with both
>  environments (AS/400 & Unix) can point good differences at both,
>  but a lot unites them, and those capabilities you denied for unix
>  are both worlds plus points, even more when compared with NT. To
>  conclude, i believe you forgot to mention your AS/400 bias, when you
>  mentioned the SQL one. ;-)

I really _don't_ think that saying OS/400 can run rings around UNIX is a
misrepresentation at all.  If it was, why are all of the UNIX folks in my
current environment trying to get on the AS/400 team?  Why do the DEC (UNIX)
servers cause all the problems with MQSeries when the systems are taken down
for a normal IPL?  I don't see "matching reliability and stability" between
either DEC, HP, or Tandem and the AS/400 at all.

DB2/400 bears little resemblance to its AIX or ES/9K counterparts at all,
other than in name.  Part of the AS/400's reliability is that you _DON'T_
choose a database or security system after you've chosen the hardware.  You
get an integrated security system and database.  UNIX has its place, but I'd
put OS/400 up against it anytime, anywhere...

>     I hope this wasnt too off-topic, people.

Seems to be right _ON_ topic!

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world to do, I've done it
thousands of times." -- Mark Twain