On Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:18:08, Mark Lazarus <mlazarus@ttec.com> wrote:

>>sometimes the old one gets used.) If the account is valid, I want the
>>screen to time out after 10 seconds. But if the account number is
>>invalid, I'd like a timeout of say, 5 seconds...
>>
>>Can this be accomplished within RPG, or do I need to call a CL program
>>from RPG with the # of seconds as a paramter, let the CL do the
>>OVRDSPF, then call a second small RPG program to read the display?
>
> There is another method that you can use which uses the $$TIMER function
>in ICF.  There was some code published in NEWS 3X/400 years ago that used
>that method.  It was actually a S/36 function.
>
> Another method (by Pete?) that was posted to this board is the dataq method.
>
> Both allow you to dynamically change the wait time.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm putting the "dynamic" wait
time on the back burner - I do like the data queue technique, and am
pulling info on programming it. I wondered if RPG has a timer like
function, but that sounds too CPU-intensive.

On a whim, I wrote a simple clock program using INVITE/WAITRCD. It
updates every five seconds, and uses less than 1% interactive CPU on
my slower AS/400. (It's "barely there" on my 9406/500!)

 - lg -

--
"Just don't give up, take it easy,
 and the rest will take care of itself." --Belldandy