  • Subject: RE: Bug w/ Ping command?
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:37:22 -0600

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Matthias Oertli [SMTP:oertlim@s054.aone.net.au]
        Sent:   Friday, December 12, 1997 7:27 PM
        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

        On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 14:20:00 -0500, Leland, David wrote:

        >Ran across something interesting today.  We were running a
never-ending
        >program which simply did a PING to a few IP addresses every 10
seconds
        >to keep the addresses alive.  After running for a couple days I
noticed
        >our disk usage had gone up dramatically.  Within two days it
went from
        >41% to 49%.  After looking for the obvious, I thought about
that job and
        >when I looked at it I noticed that it had used so much
temporary storage
        >that it was all '+++++++++++'.  Funny thing is, there was
nothing in
        >it's QTEMP library that was of any size at all.  I did an
ENDJOB *IMMED
        >on it and after about 2 hours it finally ended and our disk
usage was
        >back down to it's normal place.
        >
        >I'm running the program again and watching it's Temporary
storage used,
        >and everytime it does a PING, it jumps up about 40 and never
goes back
        >down.  So, the question is, is this a bug w/ PING or is there
something
        >I can do to reclaim that Temporary storage after everytime it
does a
        >ping?

        Could it be the joblog?
        Every ping sends a few messages to the joblog (one for each
ping, five in all
        plus a header and a summary message).

        My 2 cents.
        Matthias

------------------------
        Matthias Oertli, Sydney, Australia

        I think Matthias is correct.  The symptoms (2 hours for ENDJOB
*IMMED) are consistent with the system producing a VERY large joblog.
If you looked at the spool files for the job while it is being cancelled
you will probably see the page count on the joblog growing rapidly.
        You can avoid the joblog production by limiting the log entries
to a reasonable low number (maybe a hundred or so) on the ENDJOB by
using the LOGLMT parm.

        You should make sure the Log Level (LOG) attribute for the job
(check the *JOBD used, or put a CHGJOB command in the start of the CLP
itself) is NOT something like (4 0 *SECLVL).
        If you want nothing logged at all use LOG(0 99 *NOLIST).

... Neil Palmer                                     AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology - Canada     ____________          ___  ~
... Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada     |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
... Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238      oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
... mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com          http://www.NxTrend.com