>on 12/06/97at 12:07 PM, the Great and Grand  Wazir John Carr
><74711.77@compuserve.com> said:
>
>>The RETURN CL command just ends the program and returns to its caller.
>>Just like Setting on *INLR and doing a Return opcode in RPG.
>
>I am still unclear then.  I'd felt that setting on *INLR and also doing a
>RETURN was redundant.  I'd felt that a programmer would plan on one, the
>other, or neither.
>
>Also, is there anything wrong with RETURNing from a program and relying
>upon the closing of upstream programs to close the downstream programs?

Booth,

If RPG program A calls RPG program B, program B does a RETURN without
setting on LR, program A sets on LR, and the user returns to the menu,
program B IS STILL THERE.    And it stays there until you sign off, do a
RCLRSC (not recommended), end program B's activation group (ILE only), call
a program which executes the FREE opcode on program B (not supported in RPG
IV) or call program B again and tell it to turn on LR.

The closing of upstream programs (program A in this case) does not close the
downstream program (program B in this case).

Charlie Massoglia, Massoglia Technical Consulting, Inc.
PO Box 1065, Okemos, MI 48854, USA
517-676-9700  Fax: 517-676-1006  EMAIL: cmassoglia@voyager.net