RE:     Re: Rewrite ILE debugger

Andre

At 09:50 PM 11/26/1997 +0200, you wrote:
>I am new to ILE (OS400 V3R7) and would like to rewrite the STRDBG
>command, similar to STRISDB, with it's colours and function keys.
>
>How does one go about this? Also, how does one program STEP
>INTO/OVER?

I believe we will get a H-Spec keyword to ignore the I/O operations
in a soon to be released version of RPGIV.  The I/O operations(One
for each input field moved into the program buffer) is the thing I
think we all hate. Ya know,  sitting on the F-Spec and pressing F10
a bunch of times.

The 'Step Into' is a great function for walking into the next called
program.

If you REALLY want to see a good interactive, Real advance breakpoint
functions, GUI interface, Mouse enabled, Yada Yada Yada,,,,
debugger, GET CODE/400.  It runs on Win95 and they almost give it away
if not literally.  It will even do a 'Verify' type of compile right
on the PC so you will only have to do ONE compile on the AS/400.
(And a GUI SDA replacement that not only does screens using
copy/paste ease of use but REALLY does Printer files correctly)

For a 'couple of bucks'  save your time and energy in writing a
debugger that will still pale in comparision to the one that already
has thousands of man hours invested by some of the best.

John Carr
EdgeTech