  • Subject: Re: Year 2000 woes solved?
  • From: jgm@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 09:27:44 -0600

Dean Asmussen wrote:

MI>BTW, did you hear about the guy that they found dead in the woods that was
MI>wearing a wet suit, mask, oxygen tank, snorkel, and swim fins?  Seems the
MI>forest fire-fighting plane scooped him up while grabbing another tank-full o
MI>water.  Did you hear that "Freshen-Up" gum was made of spider eggs?  Also, a
MI>kid put a whole package of "Pop Rocks" in his mouth at the same time and ble
MI>his head off!  What about the guy that found an entire rat in his Coca-Cola
MI>after he had already taken a sip?

MI>Just kidding :-D!  Sounds like another "urban legend" to me, and that James
MI>Romenesko should be taken to task for shoddy reporting.  A 14-year-old
MI>concerned with patent protection -- come ON, sounds like another "silver
MI>bullet"!

Dean has latched on to the real problem here... The Media and Big
Science.

Ever notice how news reports get "screwed up" when the topic is science
or anything remotely scientific?  I don't even want to mention every
computer programmer in the movies from "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes"
to "War Games" to "The Net".

Think about how the media analyzes science.  It's as though there's a
Standard Operating Procedure:

1. Discuss the language.  Tell people what a gigabyte is and mention
   the Internet.

2. Discuss the celebrities.  Get a quote from Bill Gates if possible.
   It's as though Gates is the Jesse Jackson of the computer community,
   our glorified leader who can speak no wrong.

3. Discuss the fashion component.  Show Gen-X folks tapping away on IRC
   at Planet Java or something.  Maybe 'net soap operas.

4. Find a "majority" and stick to it... there are tens of millions of
   PCs and only half a million AS/400s, so never mention the AS/400,
   RPG, or any IBM products (except the "frontier" stuff, like copper
   chip technology).

5. Find a problem and jump to the conclusion that only Government can
   address major problems (they've done so well at the Post Office).

I'm continually amazed at how little content is provided about computers
and computer-related issues in the media.  I suppose we just don't fit
the mold (or the mold doesn't fit us).

Jesse McKay
jgm@nak.com
"System/36 and Beyond!"

<spam follows>
   N.A.K.Software, Home of "The Squirrel's Nest
Enjoy Chat with Worldlink, Cybernet, Telecafe, & IRC
  199.190.119.2 * http://nak.com * 1-815-795-4894
Webmasters earn more money at http://nak.com/webmastr