  • Subject: Re: pc conversion
  • From: jgm@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 02:47:54 -0600

MI>Roy,

MI>In a message dated 97-09-16 19:11:14 EDT, you write:

MI>> Anyone know of a way to convert software from the system 36 to a pc.
MI>>  The programs I have are written in RPG II.  Is there a program that
MI>>  can do this or can it be done by a programmer rather inexpensively?

Hi Roy!

You have a budget constraint, so I will lay out a few conversion options
for you.

1.  The AS/400 Advanced 436 at $9,000.

True, it isn't a PC, even though the PowerPC microprocessor is on board.
This conversion option is so simple and the results so wonderful that
you'll find yourself saying, "Good thing I couldn't afford a real PC
conversion."  The box runs SSP 7.5 and is upgradeable to OS/400.

Hardware installation is a breeze, software conversion is the easiest
you will ever find, period.

2.  Baby/36 For Windows.

This product looks nice on a Windows PC.  My experience with Baby/36 is
generally positive, though the time and effort of conversion were more
than I expected.  It's too bad that so many of my tools won't work with
Baby/36, and the transition to a single-user, single-printer system is
not much of a bargain by itself.  I would expect that a single,
mission-critical S/36 application conversion to a standalone PC running
Baby/36 for Windows would set me back a good $10,000 before I was where
I wanted to be.  You should expect that as well.

3.  Unibol.

Rumor has it, these folks have a Web page and everything.  So, what kind
of PC are you going to use?  Do you want to network?  If you want a nice
networking solution with a S/36 workalike environment, call these folks.
I can't imagine a networked "36" PC for under $40,000 - but there's no
midrange hardware involved.  You should be able to convert most RPG II
under this platform.

4.  Any new AS/400  (There are deals in the $8-10k range if you look.)

Remember that on the AS/400 after V3R7, you can create SSP machines on
your AS/400, any of which can run all of your native RPG II code as it
is right now.

5.  Rewrite In Native PC Languages.

There's nothing wrong with taking a legacy RPG II application and
rewriting it in Visual Basic, Java, C++, or whatever strikes your fancy.

It's true that a sharp rewrite is good for at least $10,000 - I can't
imagine anyone taking the project for less than that unless they meant
to "hit and run".  But you have to invest your time in this project,
too, and that will hit you on your bottom line.  If you aren't the
operator, you've got to make sure that the operator knows how to run
this new PC version of your legacy system.  You've got to make sure that
you can cover your other bases, like backups, security, and maintenance.
If you don't do this, I won't help you, and I pity the fool that does.

6. Start With What You Know About PCs (for under $1,000).

You bought your PC, hooked it up, and installed various software onto
it.  Hopefully, you added a tape drive or some type of backup device.
You are not hopelessly lost in the woods of information technology just
because you don't have a sure-fire operating system with indexed file
support.

You can create files on your PC and use spreadsheets.  This is not the
same as RPG II, but it isn't totally worthless.  Sometimes you can use
canned software (Quicken, for example) and get a practical benefit from
it.  Do that.  Become a master of the three A's... Adopt, Adapt, and
Adept.

If you adopt canned PC software, adapt the way you do your business
totally to it (where feasible) and become adept in its use, you will
find that you can gain a lot from having a PC in your business.  I have
done this to the extent that I can, and I am better off for having done
it.

----  now the biggest question of all and the Top Ten Answers ----

Why, Oh Why, Do You Want To Convert Your RPG II Programs To The PC?

1. Because you don't know that IBM systems have improved
   price/performance to 20 times what it was in the late 1980s.

2. Because you aren't aware that a simple emulation card will change
   almost any PC into a combination workhorse that runs Windows and also
   serves as a terminal, while allowing you to connect your PC printer
   to the system without twinax.

3. Because you got burned when you bought one of the last S/36s ever
   made and you swore on your Grandmother's urn that you would never,
   ever, ever, never, buy anything from Big Blue ever again.

4. Because the boss said so.  'Nuff said.

5. You've got six months to live.  Screw 'em!

6. Six times each day, you face Redmond and bow in humble prayer.

7. You want to teach your teenager to play your own personal favorite
   video game ... S/34 Star Trek!

8. You get all sentimental about record-address files.

9. You were in an Eighties punk band called "SETON LR".

and finally...

10. Two Words: Local Government.

Jesse McKay
jgm@nak.com
"System/36 And Beyond!"

... hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to hide out for a few years after
THIS response.... eeek
   N.A.K.Software, Home of "The Squirrel's Nest
Enjoy Chat with Worldlink, Cybernet, Telecafe, & IRC
  199.190.119.2 * http://nak.com * 1-815-795-4894
Webmasters earn more money at http://nak.com/webmastr