  • Subject: Compiling into production libraries
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:37:41 -0400

> Buck says:
><snip>
>>Downtime.  The customer is unable to do production during the time that the
>>programs, etc. are compiling..
><snip>
>
>Buck, you aren't implying that you are compiling programs and/or files
>directly into the production libraries are you? If you are then I think you
>will have another fight on your hands. :-)

Walden,
        Yes, we compile programs directly into production.  The main reason is
that
there are no development libraries at most of our client sites.  They don't
want to
spend the money...  sigh.  Also, at the sites where the clients have development
libraries, there is such a disparity between the development side and the
production side that if you move programs from dev to prod they will (dare I
say it?)
level check.

        Remember, I didn't write this code, I don't endorse the way these
systems
are organised, and I don't really like it all that much.  This is the state of
affairs which
I inherited when I came to work here.  I work in the Support department, so I
have to
support these clients the best that I can.  The Development staff are working
to a higher
standard, and as clients migrate to our new product many of these pesky problems
will go away.

        I'm truly sorry if I started a fight; I was *trying* to read the mood
of the list
regarding some of the situations we have to deal with.

Buck Calabro
Commsoft, Rensselaer, NY