  • Subject: Re: CHGPF Question
  • From: "Art Tostaine, Jr." <atostain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 23:44:00 -0400

DAsmussen@aol.com wrote:

> Art,
>
> >  Got to go with LVLCHK(*NO).  Remember to compile all programs that
> add
> >  or update that file.  It'll work smooth.
> >
> >  Art (seat of my pants) Tostaine, Jr.
>
> Those pants must be awfully tight!  ARE YOU NUTS????!!!!  How does
> CHGPF
> alter this over just adding the field and compiling the file (other
> than
> making sure you save the data)?  How does the speed difference between
>
> compiling the file and using CHGPF make or break taking the customer's
>
> business?  How much MONEY is the customer going to lose because YOU
> missed a
> program that added to or updated the file?  THAT's what LVLCHK is
> FOR!!!

They won't lose any money.  They'll make more.  We got the users off for
30 minutes at lunch time.  There was no time to recompile all of the
programs.  They did get recompiled over the weekend, though.

> If you already know what programs add/update the file, why DON'T you
> know
> which ones access it at all (HINT:  DSPPGMREF to an outfile)   If you
> know

> both, what the heck is the big deal with re-compiling them ALL?  Yes
> database

> changes require careful consideration, but simply adding a field is
> NOT
> rocket science!

It is for me.   I use STRSEU (or PDM option 2) on the DDS, add the field
at the end, then recompile using LVLCHK(*NO).

> I disagree VEHEMENTLY

VEHEMENTLY? Are you shouting?  Agree or disagree vehemently that the
Clinton is a lousy president (he is), or that Key West has the best
sunsets, but not on LVLCHK(*NO).   Go outside or something.

> with using LVLCHK(*NO) under ANY circumstances.  I'll
> make the same challenge that I did with GOTO

Oh yeah, the GOTO challenge.  Almost as exciting as the If/Then/Else
challenge.

> -- show me a SINGLE example
> under which it would be valid, and I'll admit my mistake (haven't
> gotten one
> in almost a year on GOTO yet, but you're welcome to try with LVLCHK).

How 'bout GOTO     ENDOFTHISTHREAD?

>  Otherwise, I've still got a couple of customers with S/34's in their
> warehouse that they're trying to get rid of -- ITS database should
> suit you
> just fine...IF you can afford the electricity to run it :-).

Many AS/400 owners are small to medium size companies.  They have little
to no MIS staff.  Certainly no DBA's.  Their computers are wedged in
tight somewhere in their phone closet.  It's hot in their offices in the
summer, and cold in the winter.  Not everything is perfect.  I agree
that a perfect world doesn't use LVLCHK(*NO).  I agree that there can be
problems.  But in the case that I stated, it was the only way to go.
Guess what? The programs worked, nothing bombed, they landed a new
customer, and I got the job done.  Do you think that if I told the
customer that I really can't get the programming changes done today
because it is bad form to use LVLCHK(*NO) they would understand?  No,
they would say, "make it happen."

Maybe I can use those Sys/34's to heat some of my customers offices in
the winter.

The largest MIS shop that I've ever worked for (largest MIS shop, not
largest customer) had 8 programmers on staff, and 8 consultants full
time (I was one of the consultants).  They had 8 programmers with their
feet up, and 8 consultants working 16 hour days getting the projects
done.  I made a fortune.  The company as a whole didn't get much done.
They talked about projects in man-years.  My customers want
man-minutes.  What's the smallest company you've ever worked for?  Ever
work without a DBA?  Or a system operator?  Ever change a ribbon in a
printer because the only other person in the company who knew how to
quit?

Some people are just too passionate about the wrong things.  I'm done
with this thread.  On to the Gui/Green screen thread.  5250 rules!

--
Art Tostaine, Jr.
Creative Computer Associates, Inc.