  • Subject: Re: CHGPF Question
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 01:04:28 -0400 (EDT)

Art,

> > > My quick answer: No Don't.
>  > > Database changes should always be done with deliberate care.
>
>  During the UPS strike, a customer of mine called Monday morning that he
>  had just landed a major account.  He needed some software changes
>  immediately.  One of the changes required adding a field to a file.
>  Should I tell the customer that changes to the database require more
>  care than that, turn down the business?  No.  It has to be done.  Just
>  do it (That's a great slogan, someone should use that)
>
>  Got to go with LVLCHK(*NO).  Remember to compile all programs that add
>  or update that file.  It'll work smooth.
>
>  Art (seat of my pants) Tostaine, Jr.

Those pants must be awfully tight!  ARE YOU NUTS????!!!!  How does CHGPF
alter this over just adding the field and compiling the file (other than
making sure you save the data)?  How does the speed difference between
compiling the file and using CHGPF make or break taking the customer's
business?  How much MONEY is the customer going to lose because YOU missed a
program that added to or updated the file?  THAT's what LVLCHK is FOR!!!

If you already know what programs add/update the file, why DON'T you know
which ones access it at all (HINT:  DSPPGMREF to an outfile)?  If you know
both, what the heck is the big deal with re-compiling them ALL?  Yes database
changes require careful consideration, but simply adding a field is NOT
rocket science!

I disagree VEHEMENTLY with using LVLCHK(*NO) under ANY circumstances.  I'll
make the same challenge that I did with GOTO -- show me a SINGLE example
under which it would be valid, and I'll admit my mistake (haven't gotten one
in almost a year on GOTO yet, but you're welcome to try with LVLCHK).
 Otherwise, I've still got a couple of customers with S/34's in their
warehouse that they're trying to get rid of -- ITS database should suit you
just fine...IF you can afford the electricity to run it :-).

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA