  • Subject: Re[3]: CHGPF Question -Reply
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:19:24 -0400

>IMHO, Level Checking is one of the shining
>features of the AS/400.

>I understand where you're coming from, and
>I completely agree with the basic idea, but
>consider my particulars:
>
>* No documentation tool.  Finding all the
>programs that reference a file is an
>arduous chore..
>
>         ------------
>
>Just out of curiosity - why can't you set
>your LIBL for the app in question,
>DSPPGMREF *USRLIBL/*ALL to an outfile, then
>query for the file name (actually, the
>record format name is what counts, but why
>quibble)?  A built in system tool, although
>multiple instances of a pgm in the LIBL
>does make things a bit tricky ("which one
>of these puppies is gonna get called?") At
>any rate, it's what I used for ferreting
>out LVLCHK's before we got Pathfinder here
>and it works pretty well..

DSPPGMREF doesn't take care of OVRDBF's.  It'll miss
logicals, and the like.  Also, it'll miss join OPNQRYFs.
We already use DSPPGMREF, DSPDBR RCDFMT(*ALL),
but there are always some missing.  I've found that (depending
on OS/400 level) DSPDBR doesn't always record the fact
that 2 files have the exact same record ID.  For instance:

CPYF LIVE/MASTER REORG/MASTER CRTFILE(*YES)

Do a DSPDBR RCDFMT(*ALL) and you'll see both files
listed.  However, I have some CL programs that have this
same code, yet DSPDBR doesn't show them.  Sigh.  Makes
finding all the similar files tough.  The worst part is when
you do a

CPYF LIVE/MASTER REORG/MASTER MBROPT(*REPLACE)

and the record format in LIVE has an extra field...

Thanks for the suggestions, though...  That's what makes posting
here worthwhile: There's always something to be learnt!

Buck Calabro
Commsoft, Rensselaer, NY