  • Subject: Mixed Case Keys -Reply
  • From: David Morris <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:56:57 -0600

>>> "Bill Phelps" <phelpswr@alpha.obu.edu> 09/19 11:31 am >>>
>I have a physical file with a name field containing mixed case
>letters.  I would like to use the name as a key field.  On my
>programs I always provide an input field to position the list.
>User's have a difficult time getting the name keyed in the exact
>upper/lower case to position the list correctly.  What are some ways
>to design a logical file or the application to ignore the case and
>position the list correctly.

You could use several methods.  Easiest I think is to maintain two fields on
the file.  One upper case and one mixed case.  Display the mixed case field
and use it for maintenance.  Where the field is maintained use XLATE to
convert the mixed value to upper.  If you use a trigger for adds and
maintenance put the XLATE there.  Key the file by the upper case field.  On
you lookup screen translate the value keyed or just enter upper and use this
value for your SETLL, CHAIN etc.  Unless you have a lot of programs
maintaining this field and no trigger this should be the easiest.  You could use
ALTSEQ and TRNTBL in your DDS but it is more likely to cause problems and
will take longer, especially if you only need this for one file.

David Morris