  • Subject: RE: COMMON in San Antonio (fwd)
  • From: cmassoglia@xxxxxxxxxxx (Charles L. Massoglia)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 17:38:12 -0400 (EDT)

Bob Cozzi wrote:

>There is still that one burning issue, however. It is not printing 800
>copies of a 50-page handout for a room that seats 1000 people. Particularly
>when 1200 people show up for that session. I don't care about those kinds
>of sessions. Print the hand-out...  What I'm talking about is the dozens of
>sessions that are in 300 to 900 person rooms and we print 300 to 900
>copies, and 23 people show up. While those 23 people should get, and always
>do get, the same quality session as the 900 person attendance, we do end up
>with a lot more waste. And that waste is costing COMMON at least tens and
>perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars at _each_ conference.

COMMON has had available for years a report which shows for any session at
the current conference which was offered at any of the last 4 conferences
the attendance at those last 4 conferences.  If this information were used
properly (i.e. adjusting figures for 3,200 registrations this conference as
opposed to 4,200 last conference) or used at all, we would not have the
problems we have with massively over producing handouts.  It would also
miminize blowouts.

As far as new sessions, it is anyone's guess how we arrive at the number of
copies to print.  We do have enough history to see how similar sessions did
in the past but we do not use it.