  • Subject: RE: COMMON in San Antonio
  • From: Bob Cozzi <BobCozzi@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:46:35 -0500

I don't know what the final revenue cost is for the agenda. But assume its
probably closer to $25000.  The book itself is (guessing) about $20000 to
print, maybe as high as $30000. But let's take the lessor.

Then you need to add to that.
Postage                $12000 (4000 units at $3 priority mail)
Additional materials  $5000 (envelopes, printed material stuff in with the
agenda, badge printing)
Overhead/administration  $7000 (publishing, structuring, organizing,
assembling, etc.)
So even at $25000 in revenue you're talking about $24000 in debt. If it
does bring in $50000 (at your estimate) we break even.

It is normal, today, for conference proceedings (in hard copy) to be an
additional fee. Additional copies of agendas would be a chargeable item
too, if there were a comparable event offered, I think.

So, I guess you point about "giving them away", we do give every paid
attendee one copy. If you forget it, hey, cough up the few buck$ after all
you're the one who forgot it. But on the lighter side, why worry about it
at all? Every day GreenStreak contains the latest grid and conference
changes. It's free, it's there by 7:00 AM each morning, and it doesn't
weigh nearly as much as the agenda. I don't even use my agenda. I just pick
up GreenStreak each morning. It's much more manageable.

I can, however, see the day where hard-copy hand-outs are a chargeable
item. While there is currently know plans nor is there even a discussion of
it that I'm aware of, why continue to print millions of copies that end up
in the garbage or on a shelf? Why not just go to CD-ROM as the base
hand-out and charge an extra fee of, say $50 to $100 for hard copy of the
hand outs. Remember, with the CD-ROM, you can print your own copies.

I don't know, we spend thousands and thousands of dollars on stuff we don't
use and write-off, but we have difficulty spending a few nickels on things
we really need (like education). Interesting...

Bob Cozzi
Bob@RPGIV.COM
www.rpgiv.com
AS/400 Books:  http://www.rpgiv.com/as400Books.html

On Tuesday, September 09, 1997 4:09 PM, Glenn Ericson
[SMTP:Glenn-Ericson@att.net] wrote:
> I agree it is well done. It sure is a test of the Organizational
Guidelines
> & Code of Ethics. That is the  point
>
> Who decides who can advertize where and at what point does it stop?
> Revenue is a good thing and *should*  control member costs. At  about
$50K
> income you  could almost give them away
>
> At 03:35 PM 9/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >Actually, the advertisements in the conference guide were done to offset
> >the enormous cost of that publication. When you print 6000 copies or so,
of
> >a document that size, you're talking many tens of thousands of dollars.
I'm

david@midrange.com