  • Subject: Re: Silvon Software
  • From: "Ari Samson" <ari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 20:20:06 -0400

David Gibbs wrote
>>'I'm currently evaluating SILVON software and their change management
>>products.

>>Does anyone have any personal opinions on the company or the software?'

I have had the fun and interesting experiences of working with Implementer
3.1, and Synon CM 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 at several different accounts. (CM is
Silvon's Implementer with hooks into Synon environments for object change
management) For change management of source and objects they do a pretty
darn good job. We did at one point manage to find a hole in their security
(basically a way to make it so that source and objects were not necessarily
in synch in target environments) and their response to this was quick and
attentive once we managed to explain to them the problem.

I don't necessarily love their front line support but their higher level
support is good, but unfortunately my luck seems to be that I play phone
tag with the second level support sometimes for days before I catch up to
them. It's rare that they'll be able to take my call. They're almost always
on another call. Eventually I just gave them a receptionists number and had
her come and track me down wherever I was when they called me back.

If you're looking to use Silvon in a Synon environment I can give you pages
and pages of chapter and verse experience. As to Aldon, I don't know much
about them, but I'm curious. Aldon has partnered with another company (MSI)
to produce a product called MOM  which also handles Synon environments. I
saw a sales presentation, but I haven't seen a working demo yet. I'll maybe
be able to speak to it later once I've taken it apart and seen how it
works.

Silvon has great ability down to the environment level to manage exactly
how and where you want to put your objects and source. Also, the way they
handle multiple production environments is actually pretty darn good. Their
DDM solution is in beta right now, so we've had to do some jerry-rigging
over internal files or some intermediate steps to make them work. If their
solution is as described it will be easy to work with.

As to Design Tracker and Autotester from Silvon, we're actually going to be
working with them at the account I'm at right now so I can probably give
you a blow by blow account. (A right to the head, an uppercut, a jab...
whoa... the consultant goes down... Sorry, long day.)

Anyway, any specific questions just let me know.

Ari Samson
Tech Software Inc.
Main Office (516) 627-3800
email: ari@techsoftinc.com