  • Subject: A silver bullet announcement
  • From: HankHeath@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 06:52:21 -0400 (EDT)

I just received this press release. Thought I'd share it with the group for
comments. I have no financial interest in this company, just passing the
information along.

Hank Heath
     For Additional Information
     Contact: Gary Catrambone
     Voice: 888-484-4672
     Fax: 609-589-3996
     E-mail: gcatrambone@info-techinc.com

     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

     MILLENNIUM SILVER BULLETO for the AS/400
     Info Tech, Inc. of New Jersey has developed a `silver bullet' tool
     that solves the Year 2000 problem for users of the IBM AS/400
     mid-range computer. The Millennium Silver BulletO for the AS/400
     (MSB/400O) converts 100% of the date fields in an AS/400 database and
     brings them up to `Year 2000 Compliance.'  MSB/400 accomplishes this
     by expanding the date fields to include the applicable century. The
     tool then searches the application programs and produces a
     line-by-line report identifying every line of programming code to be
     examined.

     CORRECTS THE PROBLEM - NOT JUST A "FIX"
     By actually adding the applicable century to the data, MSB/400 differs
     significantly from currently available industry solutions in that it
     does not require any `leave behind' windowing devices and requires no
     additional software purchases. As the only tool that corrects every
     date field and reports every line of code that refers to those fields,
     MSB/400 also streamlines the post-correction programming effort. This
     could potentially save companies tens or hundreds of thousands of
     dollars in programmer costs.

     POWERFUL & VERSATILE TOOL FOR THE YEAR 2000 AND BEYOND
     MSB/400 converts all native AS/400 databases and is equally effective
     on applications written in either COBOL or RPG. MSB/400 easily
     converts Alpha, Packed, signed numeric, two, four or six digit date
     fields. These date fields can be in any order (i.e., YYMMDD, etc.) and
     can remain in the original order or can be changed to YYMMDD order.
     - MORE -
      MSB/400
     Page 2

     "The MSB/400 tool is revolutionary," says Info Tech President Daniel
     Harrow, "because it corrects 100% of the date fields." Currently
     available Year 2000 tools for the AS/400 are `band-aid' programs which
     never actually place the correct century in the database, according to
     Harrow. Their `data windowing' techniques use some programming
     sleight-of-hand to adjust for the new century, Harrow explained, but
     they never actually correct the underlying problem.

     The MSB/400 includes additional tools, in the AMMO BOXO,  which
     perform tasks that previously could only be accomplished manually.
     From within the MSB/400 AMMO BOX, the user can add a new field to the
     database, change an existing field description or restore DDS for a
     file where source has been lost.

     Info Tech, Inc. Vice President Gary Catrambone announced that everyone
     who has an AS/400 and has been waiting for a comprehensive, `silver
     bullet' solution to the Year 2000 problem need only wait until July 1,
     1997. "We are currently in beta testing and will be ready for product
     release by then," said Catrambone.

     ###