  • Subject: Re: Large files in QSPL
  • From: Pete Massiello <PMassiello@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 08:47:09 -0400

John Earl wrote:

> In doing a little disk cleaning I noticed that the spoolfile files in QSPL
> are of varying sizes.  There's a total of 9 of them with names like
> Q04879N001, and they range from a mere 10MB, to 162MB.  The 162MB version
> was created in 1993 (About the time we got the system), but had a last
> changed date only two days old.  I've got a couple of questions about these
> spoolfile files:
>
> 1) Am I stuck with the 162MB size on the big one, or is there a way I can
> resize it to be smaller?

The size represents the number of spool files you have on your machine.
Each of these
files (Q099999N0001) contain members that hold your spool files.   If
you were to
cleanup your spool files, and then either run a RCLSPLSTG or IPL you
would see the
size of these being reduced (depending on when you deleted the spool
files, and the
value of the system value QRCLSPLSTG.

> 2) Any one like to hazard a guess as to why the sizes vary so much?
I think this is answered in number one.

> 3) I'm fairly sure that it's the QTOTxxx system value that controls these
> file sizes, but I have to admit that I've never really understood how
> QTOTxxx values do whatever it is they do.  Anyone care to clue me in?

This is kind of unrelated. To make this extremely simple, I will use the
analogy I
use in one of my work management presentations.  Each job needs a Work
Control
Block table (WCBT) entry in the system.  Think of this Work Control
Block  as one large
file cabinet, with a folder in it for each job.  The value QTOTJOB is
the inital number of
jobs in the system, or the initial number of folders that OS/400 creates
in the file cabinet.  If the number is too high, OS/400 spends lots of
time
initially creating useless folders at IPL time, if the number is too
low, then
the system will need to create folders later.  The other value QADLTOTJ,
is the
value that says, when I run out of folders (because I have more jobs in
the system)
please create this number of folders.  Well what you must realize, is
before that job can start
it requires an entry int he Work Control Block table (ie an empty
folder).  If there are
none, then system stops what it is doing, and will create the number of
WCBT that you have in
QADJTOTJ. Once these new folders are in the file cabinet, new jobs can
be placed into them.

A job will remain as a WCBT entry, as long as it is in one of the 3
states, On a Job Queue, running,
or as a spool file.  This is why when you do a WRKSYSSTS, you see the
total number of
jobs this includes all 3, but when you do a WRKACTJOB, you only see
those that are active.

I hope that is understandable.

   Pete Massiello
   OS Solutions International