  • Subject: AOL off line response to newsgroups, good util pgms for web, free form data
  • From: Chas400@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:12:43 -0400 (EDT)

<< So then I have to send messages to newsgroups
 while online, not offline and then uploading it as I do with my mailing
 lists. >>

a further suggestion -- or two.

I believe - not sure - if you are using flashsessions that you can in fact
respond off line -- it is just that when you use the "send new message" or
respond function, it will be queued up for later transmission when you are
next on line.  In your options to set up the flashsession you are using for
off line reading you will find the "send outgoing newsgroup messages" -- it
must be checked when the flash session is activated for the pending messages
to be sent.  Additionally, before going online, you can take a look at your
pending mail and NG messages by clicking on the file cabinet icon and
scanning down -- the first subfolder under Newsgroups is for outgoing
messages -- and you have a chance right there to delete or edit them before
allowing them to be sent.

Moreover, I'd suggest a couple of programs that I know from personal use to
be invaluable in dealing with the internet, mail, and newsgroups generally.

InfoSelect for Windows is about $100 from Micro Logic, PO Box 70, Hackensack,
NJ
Tech Support main number from manual: (201) 342-7468
2 for common problems, 3 for fax back
call (201) 342-2462 for voice support
call (201) 342-0370 for fax support
email Mlogic@ibm.com  use subject "TECH"
I'd e-mail them or look for a web site -- this is a terrific free form
database with fast serach engine -- can use in outline form, everything in
one big file, pretty customizable (can create and use "forms") -- so easy to
store clips from wherever and then find them later with boolean logic based
search rules -- also a very good calendar/scheduler program included, and a
mini-word processor with spell check and fonts and such more than enough for
memos  -- I and a couple of friends have all independently found and use this
program constantly -- if it means anything to you the columnist for Byte,
Jerry Pournelle, who is also a prolific sci fi writer, uses and highly
recommends it.  At work I no longer have problems finding vendors, or notes
on phone conversations -- they all get keyed into InfoSelect right away, and
because I can search quick and easy on whatever keyword or date or just text
string, I don't lose stuff any more.  For internet clips and such it is
invaluable.

The other thing I'd recommend is Clipmate from www.thornsoft.com -- it was
$30 or less, available for 30 days as unrestricted shareware, small and easy
to use superclipboard sort of thing.  It lets you while browsing anything on
screen use the Edit/Copy (or Control C in true windows compatible programs,
most are) to "snip" a copy into a queue (actually, you can create all kinds
of queues, easily activate any one at a time, move items between queues) so
that when browing a web site you can highlight text, Control C to save it,
and just keep doing that for an hour on line and have maybe 100 such snips --
then off line later go through those snips while you have maybe InfoSelect
and Word up -- highlight a single snip in Clipmate, click where you want it
to be pasted in InfoSelect or Word or whatever, press Control V (or
Edit/Paste) and that "clipped" item is copied there.  Makes putting a
database of various stuff from several web sites all together in one document
very easy.  I created "collections" for stuff like jokes I see, AS/400
programming tips (clipped from the newsgroup and midrange-L), AS/400
"systems', etc.  I usually have the "temporary" collection active when
collecting snips, then will either paste as appropriate or just move the
items into the right collection where I can deal with it later (usually
monthly I go through to save relevant clips for AS/400 stuff into the
topics/sections I've set up for that in InfoSelect).

I know there are lots of other ways, as good or maybe better, to get
organized and deal with time more efficiently on the internet and elsewhere
-- but what I'm suggesting works very well for me, and might be good for you
too.

Best of luck.

(I am sending this back to the Midrange-L too, in case it is of interest to
anyone else)

Charlie Hahn