We set up the CAD interface between our CAD systems (Anvil 1000MD and
Pro/Engineer) with MAPICS EPDM.  For us (and I want to stress that this
relates to our installation and may not relate the same for others), it
took longer and more steps to do the CAD feed and load to MAPICS than what
it took for us to actually do dual maintenance.  EPDM and the Browser are
so efficient on Engineering changes that our engineering people decided to
bag the interface and just maintain each separately.

There were some other considerations, such as fasteners and such where
decimal point precision wasn't handled the same in the CAD software as
EPDM (MAPICS was more precise) that influenced the decision.  Make sure
you have all your uncontrolled floor stock handled the same in your CAD
system as you do in MAPICS - a lot of companies don't bother with the
uncontrolled floor stock in their design systems (nuts, bolts, washers,
glue, clips, etc).

Another impact was the need to have stuff like Item Type, Item Class and
the other fields maintained on the drawing, and they weren't needed (or
wanted) on the drawing.  The additional fields put more of a load on the
draftspersons, and the maintnenance tool wasn't as efficient as EPDM.

I wish the interface would have been more seamless and accurate, but it
didn't work out for us.  Looked good on paper, pretty bad in actual
practice.

Dale @ Fleetwood

"Jim Wiedl" <WIEDLJ@timesaversinc.com>
Sent by: mapics-l-admin@midrange.com