Here's a quick start to Telnet-SSL from the people at Mochasoft:
http://www.mochasoft.dk/ssl.html

(The work that I did gives tn5250 the same SSL capabilities that the
Mochasoft emulator has.)

Or, here's the same basic thing from IBM (click on "Telnet and SSL"):
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/info/RZAIWGETSTART.HTM

Just FYI: Both of these sources will tell you that you need to install
(among other things) the Cryptographic Access Provider (5769-ACx)  which
did _not_ ship with OS/400 (at least, at V4R5) however, when I ordered it
I found out that it was actually a free-of-charge item. :)