  • Subject: Re: Fonts Part 2
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:26:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Martin Rowe wrote:

> I'm assuming you mean Scott's improved patch (which I think he said in
> now in cvs), rather than my first excursion into C programming[1] ;-)

Yes, it's already in CVS... what I could really use from Jay is a
clarification of what options should be going into 0.16.x and what
options should be going into 0.17.x, and what the plans for making
future releases are!

> One thing you *could* [:)] look at though is the Help key binding. This
> is listed as ^H in the man page, but has disappeared from tn5250 at some
> point. We've a number of screens that don't use F1 as Alt-Help, so I
> can't get to application help or message subfiles[2] on them at present.

It's never been Ctrl-H!  Ctrl-H is the ASCII standard for "backspace" (not
to be confused with the left-arrow key).    Help Esc-H.  And appears to
work for me, at least...

> Oh, kudos to whoever added Esc as Attn in /usr/local/tn5250/XTerm - I
> don't know how long it's been there, as I got so used to ^A instead[3].
> At least it'll make the occasional use of CA less confusing. I only
> noticed when I dozily tried to exit SEU with Esc:wq ;-) Maybe I should
> just dump SEU and use Vim permanently...

That was me... (along with a lot of other changes to /usr/local/tn5250/XTerm).
Glad you like them.  FWIW, You should be able to use Scroll Lock as help,
as well.

> [1] Can anyone recommend a good book explaining C to a novice? I don't
> think I'm likely to learn it anytime soon (starting off with Python), but
> I would like to understand it enough to follow what most of the code is
> doing.

I'd like to help with this, but I don't actually remember how I learned C,
I'm sure I picked the hardest possible way, though :)