  • Subject: Re: Fonts Part 2
  • From: "Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice" <eraserhead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:40:25 -0400

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:26:00AM -0500, Scott Klement wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Martin Rowe wrote:
> >
> > I'm assuming you mean Scott's improved patch (which I think he said in
> > now in cvs), rather than my first excursion into C programming[1] ;-)
> >

> Yes, it's already in CVS... what I could really use from Jay is a
> clarification of what options should be going into 0.16.x and what
> options should be going into 0.17.x, and what the plans for making
> future releases are!

Right now, the plans for future releases are:  When I get to item 12 on my
todo list ("tn5250 patch queue"), I'll go through, sort out and apply patches.
Maybe a day or two or five.

As for what goes into 0.16.x and what goes into 0.17.x ... any bugfixes or
corrections go into both.  0.17.x branch is where I was working on Python
language bindings and GTK+/Gnome support.  Once that stuff is working, it
should be time to roll over to the next versions.

(When I get time to handle the patch queue, I'll try to finish the Python
language bindings.)

> > [1] Can anyone recommend a good book explaining C to a novice? I don't
> > think I'm likely to learn it anytime soon (starting off with Python), but
> > I would like to understand it enough to follow what most of the code is
> > doing.
>
> I'd like to help with this, but I don't actually remember how I learned C,
> I'm sure I picked the hardest possible way, though :)

Moving from RPG to C, the only big conceptual thing to figure out is pointers,
and perhaps dynamic memory management.

I've found that people who learn Java sort of understand the Java 'reference'
thing, but in a really vague way.  People who understand pointers seem to
immediately get references and not trip over their toes.  Everybody should
know C!

That's why it peeves me that some collegiate CS courses are moving from C/C++
to Java as the central language.

-Jay 'Eraserhead' Felice