  • Subject: Solved lp5250d problem? (was Re: lp5250d problem?)
  • From: jsanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:30:29 -0700
On 10 Aug 00, at 11:40, Scott Klement wrote:

Hello Scott,

> both tn5250 and lp5250d use the standard sockets calls to the TCP/IP
> stack that every other network application on your system uses.  They
> should be able to communicate over a LAN, SLIP, PPP, a complex routed
> WAN or even the Internet without any difficulties.

And both tn5250 and lp5250d work great right now. Apparently, if I
use full path names, or commands that are too long with the -P
parameter of lp5250d, a connection is created but whenever
something is sent to the device from the AS/400 side, it goes to
that big bit bucket in the sky. The way I was calling lp5250d was:
/usr/local/bin/lp5250d -s APP$SNUM -T '*EPLX810' -P
'/usr/local/bin/scs2ascii | lpr' s10b0001, where $SNUM is a global
variable that defines the store/location of the printer and s10b0001
is the AS/400 (as if you didn't know that!  ;-). Once I shortened that
down to 'lp5250d -s APP$SNUM -T '*EPLX810' -P 'scs2ascii | lpr'
s10b0001, it works fine. I think that even the lp5250d path was
being passed on to the AS/400. If anybody is interested, I could
send a tracefile where you can see that the MFRTYPMDL field
being passed something other than *EPLX810.

> If you're having problems from remote sites, I'd recommend checking
> your company's firewall and router configurations.  Make sure that
> ports 23 and 515 are open and being routed properly.

Checked...everything works okay...guess I should've checked the
tracefile a while back...  =-)

> Hope that helps...

Well, I hope my adventures do help some in the development of
tn5250. BTW, any ideas as to why the cursor gets a mind of its
own at times? I can work for long periods of time using other
applications, but sometimes tn5250's cursor starts scrolling slowly
accross (sp?) the screen, and pressing a function key takes one to
a screen that one isn't even supposed to be in. How can I check
the serial port to see if that's the cause of my woes?

Once again, thanks to all...

Jose Sanchez
DRJ, Inc.