  • Subject: Re: Bug busting session next week.
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:38:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Jason M. Felice wrote:

> > Also, somewhere along the line the "END" key started behaving differently.
> > If I'm in SEU (for example) and press END on a line that I have NOT
> > changed, it will move the cursor to the last non-blank space in the field.
> > (Or actually the first blank after the last non-blank space)
> >
> > But, if I've made changes to a line of source code, it goes all the way to
> > end of the line (which is the end of that field) rather than just to the
> > end of what has been typed.
> >
> > And thats a pain :)  Now I still have to use the arrow keys to position
> > the cursor, which takes WEEKS!  (Okay, it only takes a second or two, but
> > still drives me nuts)
> >

> There was some discussion at one point about whether the correct behavior
> was to go to the end of the field or the position after first non-null
> position (counting from the right).  I forget what the consensus was,
> but it certainly shouldn't behave _that_ way!
>
> I can't remember which way it should behave, tho.  It was one of those
> things where you remember that the way it should be was counter-intuitive,
> then you can't remember if the way you are now thinking is counter-intuitive,
> or just counter-intuitive because you're used to the other way <g>
>
> That was apparently before the list archives.

Heh...  if I recall correctly, I initiated that discussion, too :)

I've seen straight 5250 terminals (dumb terminals, not software pkg)
that implemented the END key by moving to the end of the field, rather
than the first of the trailing blanks.  However, this method doesnt
really save you anything when you're doing a lot of keying :)

I use Rumba under Windows, and its behaviour is to move to the space after
the last non-blank character in an input field.  This is how tn5250 worked
after you fixed it last time :)

If the "last spot in the field" is desirable to someone, perhaps this
behaviour could be controlled by a command-line switch?  At any rate,
having the program work one way before you've changed anything, and a
different way afterwards probably isnt what people want... :)

This is no big thing, tho... please fix the assertions and cursor
positioning first... they're a much bigger deal! :)

-S