  • Subject: Re: GPLed Linux-SNA
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:19:20 -0500

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 04:20:49PM -0500, Sean Porterfield wrote:
> > BTW, an offer I made some time ago is still good.  I will write a Linux
>driver
> > for an emulator board for free if some company would like to give me *ALL*
> > relevant specs, an email address of someone who wrote existing DOS/Windows
> > drivers, and the board and allow the driver to be published under the GPL.
> > could use it in conjunction with my S/36 at home :)
>
> I'm not sure if this is relevant, but a Perle ( http://www.perle.com/ )
>company -
> Specialix http://www.specialix.com/ has Linux drivers for some of their
>boards.

I've just looked through all of their products, and it looks like the Perle
devices they do have aren't AS/400 controllers or twinax cards or what-not..
they all seem to be generic remote access (TCP/IP) devices.  The other
devices, which they _do_ have Linux drivers for, are high speed serial boards
or ...  damn it's been a while since datacomm... what's the generic name for
a digiboard?  Anyway, they're cards with lots of serial ports.

> Maybe they aren't SNA, though.

Without looking at the specs first, there's a lot of things I can't tell for
sure; however, I was under the impression that most twinax boards labeled
'emulator' cards had at least a partial SNA stack on them .. I thought they
were "mini-controllers" of sorts.

I'm certainly not getting into working with whatever incarnation Linux-SNA
there now is... I've got enough long-term projects on my hands, thank you :)

-Jason