  • Subject: Re: GPLed Linux-SNA
  • From: "Jason M. Felice" <jasonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:40:08 -0500

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 12:53:55PM -0600, wsuetholz@centonline.com wrote:
> Jay Schulist is the initiator of this project, and I never saw anything that
>was
> complete from him, although in his patches he did include tn5250...  He
>had/has
> very ambitious plans for it.
>
> <http://samba.anu.edu.au/linux-sna/>  Probably outdated
> <http://www.linux-sna.org> The TurboLinux page references this one..
>
> Alternatively there is Heterogenius Systems in the UK
> <http://www.hgsys.demon.co.uk/linux.htm>  They mostly charge though.
> The SNA guy there didn't seem to upbeat about the Linux-SNA project.
> Called it vaporware :-)
>
> On 15-Dec-99 Seth Cohn wrote:
> > I quote from the press release (found via Linux Today)
> >
>http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=CofCGubKbyteXndC&FQ=Linux&Nav=na-se
> > arch-&StoryTitle=Linux
> >
> > The software is nowhere to be found (not at the URL below)
> >
> > Could someone write to Turbolinux and find out where the gpled code
> > is?  Sounds like something tn5250 could really use.  Imagine an SNA
> > enabled box that runs 5250 emulation.
>
> Thing about that is, that for real SNA 5250 you need to support TWINAX, and
> I don't know that there are any TWINAX drivers available.

You can do SNA via token ring just fine.  We've done that for an AS/400 and
for an AS/36.  You cannot use a S/36, only an AS/36.  Otherwise, you will need
Twinax card/emulator board.

BTW, an offer I made some time ago is still good.  I will write a Linux driver
for an emulator board for free if some company would like to give me *ALL*
relevant specs, an email address of someone who wrote existing DOS/Windows
drivers, and the board and allow the driver to be published under the GPL.  I
could use it in conjunction with my S/36 at home :)

I'm not sure how much of a market is left for such devices, but if any company
is still making them, it's a deal you can't beat.

> There are a number of SNA details that Telnet implementations hide, that would
> need to be allowed for, but it could be done.
>
> Bill Suetholz

-Jay