I we can't run .NET on the System i. That would be a Windows server sitting
in between the web server and the other servers.

On 5/22/07, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <thunderaxiom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mike skrev den 04-05-2007 15:23:
> Honestly, I am the middle man here.
>
> Web service: We want a middle tier to use SOAP (or whatever it's called)
> and from our web server. The java web service would communicate with the
> System i, MS SQL and other required databases. This way we only have one
> hole through the DMZ to a specific server (if we can even do that).
>
> We are in the planning stages on this and are first determining if we
should
> do RPG, Java, or .NET. The web developer said he would like to use
Enterpise
> java beans and didn't think the JVM on i5/OS supported it without the
> full-blown WebSphere App. Server. I thought it would and we could just
> install JBoss to make use of them
You will not be able to run .NET on your machine unless you get Mono
running in PASE, and I would not bet on it.

I have recently written a Java Web Service (the soap stuff) which talks
to Cobol stuff, and is deployed on Jetty 5 on the iSeries. Except for
memory pool issues it worked like a charm. Unless you really, really,
really need to, do NOT use Enterprise stuff for a simple web service.

--
Thorbjørn