Mike skrev den 04-05-2007 15:23:
Honestly, I am the middle man here.

Web service: We want a middle tier to use SOAP (or whatever it's called) to
and from our web server. The java web service would communicate with the
System i, MS SQL and other required databases. This way we only have one
hole through the DMZ to a specific server (if we can even do that).

We are in the planning stages on this and are first determining if we should
do RPG, Java, or .NET. The web developer said he would like to use Enterpise
java beans and didn't think the JVM on i5/OS supported it without the
full-blown WebSphere App. Server. I thought it would and we could just
install JBoss to make use of them
You will not be able to run .NET on your machine unless you get Mono
running in PASE, and I would not bet on it.

I have recently written a Java Web Service (the soap stuff) which talks
to Cobol stuff, and is deployed on Jetty 5 on the iSeries. Except for
memory pool issues it worked like a charm. Unless you really, really,
really need to, do NOT use Enterprise stuff for a simple web service.