Hello,

Let me start by saying that I am not a java programmer.  I am a System
Administrator/RPG Programmer.  I just started in a job with a new
company and inherited this problem.

We are having trouble with intermittent slow system response time.  The
previous administrator thought that it had something to do with a
websphere app server.  IBM was called and they wanted an open ended
contract to have somebody change the java code.  (We do not have anybody
on staff that can program in java) because they think that the heap
space is growing too large and they pointed to one particular app.

Also, this problem started when the company upgraded the OS to V5R4 from
V5R3.  This problem did not exist until the OS was upgraded.

The slow response also then spreads to green screen applications on the
box.

I know the garbage collector is running but I don't know how to look at
its priority or its frequency.

I tried the command: java -gcfrq from inside the qshell but the command
failed.

If I look at the job stack on the server job, it constantly looks like
this:

                                                            System:
FC01

Job:   FCWEB1         User:   QEJBSVR        Number:   234338

Type  Program                  Statement         Procedure

   1  QCMD       QSYS                     /01C7

      QASESTRSVR QASE51      5093              _CXX_PEP

      QASESTRSVR QASE51      5058              main

      QASEPROC   QASE51        3386
SsLaunchApplicationServer__ >

      QASECMN    QASE51        2348              destroyJVM__5WsJVMFi

      QASECMN    QASE51        1266
DestroyJavaVM__7JavaVM_Fv

      QJVAJNICLS QSYS            43
DestroyJavaVM__FP7JavaVM_

Below is the code that IBM is calling into question,   can someone tell
me how to close any open connections that this code leaves open?

Thanks

Jon

<HTML>

<!-- This file was generated by IBM WebSphere Studio 3.5 using
C:\Program
Files\WebSphere\Studio35\BIN\GenerationStyleSheets\V3.5\JSP1.0\JSPModel\
HTMLPages.xsl -->

<HEAD>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type"

            CONTENT="text/html; Pragma=no-cache; Expires=Saturday,
February 15, 1997 10:10:10 GMT; charset=ISO-8859-1">

<META NAME="GENERATOR"

            CONTENT="IBM WebSphere Page Designer V3.5.3 for Windows">

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">

<META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-1"><%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/lib/jspsql.jar"
prefix="dab" %>

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">

<!--

BODY {

            padding-top: 4px;

            margin-top: 0px;

            padding-left: 0px;

            margin-left: 0px;

}

-->

</STYLE>

<TITLE></TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#cccccc">

<%-- Connect to the database --%>

<%! com.ibm.db.beans.DBConnectionSpec dsSpec = null; %>

<%

if (dsSpec == null) {

%>

<dab:driverManagerSpec id="CONTROLCUS_BRANCHConnection" scope="page"

   userid='???????'

   password='???????'

   driver='com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver'

   url='jdbc:as400://fc01'/>

<%

   dsSpec = CONTROLCUS_BRANCHConnection;

 }

%>

<%--Execute the query--%>

<dab:select id="select_master" scope="request"
connectionSpecRef="<%=dsSpec%>">

   <dab:sql>

      SELECT CONTROLCUS.BRANCH.BRNAME AS BRNAME,
CONTROLCUS.WEBDAT.WDDATE AS WDDATE, CONTROLCUS.WEBDAT.WDTIME AS WDTIME
FROM CONTROLCUS.BRANCH, CONTROLCUS.WEBDAT WHERE CONTROLCUS.BRANCH.BRNUMB
= CONTROLCUS.WEBDAT.WDLOC AND CONTROLCUS.WEBDAT.WDLOC =
<%=request.getParameter("lstLocation")%> AND CONTROLCUS.WEBDAT.WDCOM =
'001'

   </dab:sql>

</dab:select>

<TABLE WIDTH="100%" bgcolor="#008000">

            <TBODY>

                        <TR>

                                    <TD NOWRAP WIDTH="40%" VALIGN="top">

                                    <TABLE>

                                                <TBODY>

                                                            <TR>

<TD><FONT SIZE="2" FACE="Arial" color="#ffffff">Farmers

Cooperative Company Grain Bids</FONT></TD>

                                                            </TR>

                                                </TBODY>

                                    </TABLE>

                                    </TD>

                                    <TD WIDTH="60%" HEIGHT="16"
VALIGN="top" ALIGN="right"><FONT SIZE="2" FACE="Arial">

                                    </FONT>

                                    <TABLE bgcolor="#ffffff">

<TBODY>

<FONT SIZE="2" FACE="Arial">

   <dab:repeat name="select_master" index="rowNum" over="rows" >

   <TR>

      <TD NOWRAP WIDTH="25%"><FONT SIZE="2" FACE="Arial">Location=

         <dab:getColumn index="1"/></FONT>

      </TD>

      <TD WIDTH="25%"><FONT SIZE="2" FACE="Arial">Date=<%
java.text.SimpleDateFormat formatter = new
java.text.SimpleDateFormat("MMM d, yyyy");

java.util.Date currentTime_1 = new java.util.Date();

String dateString = formatter.format(currentTime_1);

out.println(dateString);%></FONT>

      </TD>

      <TD WIDTH="25%"><FONT SIZE="2" FACE="Arial">Time=

         <dab:getColumn index="3"/></FONT>

      </TD>

   </TR>

   <%select_master.next();%>