Thanks for the feedback Mark.

Think of this as just one more cool tool in the tool belt.  You never know
when you'll need that 3-foot long drillbit ever again either :-)

Speaking of which I just purchased a new Craftsman toolbox this weekend to
house all my tools in the garage :-)

Where we like using the JT400 stuff in .Net is to leverage the power of
the .Net GUI and XCOPY deploy along with the power of JT400 connectivity
without a special install.  It also allows our .Net classes to use similar
methods as our java code, so it promotes concept re-use as well as code
re-use in many cases.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Providing Your....iNFORMATION NOW!"
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 1
date: Sat, 27 May 2006 13:14:19 -0400
from: Mark Phippard <markp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: IKVM -- jtopen

I went ahead and took the plunge and tried it.  I converted JT400, and I
then committed the JAR file that contains the API for our product.  I
converted both of these to DLL's.  I then took some unit tests I had
written in Java for our API and converted those to an EXE.

It all worked.  PCML, JDBC, everything.  The XML parsers and other Java
classes are included in the IKVM runtime DLL.

So now I can use our API in VB.NET and C#.  I installed the Express
version and tried it out.  All worked great.  It was easy to build a
simple screen and pull in data.

I am still not sure if/how I will use this, but it is great to have,
especially being able to leverage all of the existing and tested API for
our product.  I could potentially see using this for smallish projects
where there is some other API I want to use that only exists for Windows
and does not have a good java equivalent.

Thanks

Mark