Wouldn't something like a *DTAQ or possibly even something "heavier" like
MQSeries be a better choice than a *USRSPC?  The *USRSPC is a great way to
pass the data efficiently, but it seems like it forces you to handle all
of the "queuing" aspects that would be needed to deal with high-volume and
that you get for "free" by using a queueing delivery system.

Also, have you considered driving it more from Java?  In other words let
it parse the XML and make all of the decisions and just call the
appropriate RPG programs directly to process the transactions?  It seems
like parsing the XML in Java and then adding something to a User Space to
then be processed by RPG all you are doing is making up your own language
that is perhaps simpler to process than XML, but you still have some of
the same issues in RPG.

Just some thoughts.

Mark

java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/19/2004 10:26:37 AM:

> The recent discussions ("Strategic Java Usage", "Mixed RPG/Java
> Performance", "EJB versus RPG/COBOL") have peaked my interest immensely,
> thanks for everyone's comments!
>
> I am working on a Java/RPG solution that will be used to get our iSeries
> machines into an HTTP SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) type model.  I
> have created web services with RPG programs, but parsing XML just isn't
> RPG's forte, even with IBM's parser and my wrapper that I wrote for it.
>
> I have recently been looking at having Java do all HTTP communication
and
> XML parsing and once an XML document had been parsed into the
appropriate
> "object" it would then be passed to a "Mediator" that would decide what
RPG
> business logic program needed to be called based on the XML's envelope
> contents.  The kind of XML documents I am talking about are anything
from
> simple requests like "getItem" to something quite large like
> "PurchaseOrderRequest".
>
> Being that I need to pass large amounts of data from Java to RPG I have
been
> looking for different ways that both can easily talk to each other.  The
> model I am planning on using for this is to write the parsed information
> a "smart" User Space for the RPG program to pick up after the Java
program
> has notified it that there is something available.  By "smart" User
Space I