Nathan,

On Dienstag, 16. März 2004 18:51, Nathan M. Andelin wrote:
> > In the referenced example, the Java component to
> > display a list of employees and departments is
> > exactly the same.
> >
> > This means that any requirement to select, display,
> > edit, delete database records can be generically
> > handled via a single component thus saving huge
> > amount of redundant programming.
> >
> > RPG simply cannot accomplish this.
>
> Actually, it can be done in RPG.  For reference see:
>
> http://www.wrkdbf.com/

Would never say never, but it doesn't seem to me that wrkdbf could plug in
business logic without changes, and a file editor doesn't help too much in
application development.

> It would be possible to create an ILE *SRVPGM, exporting a utilitarian
> interface for database maintenance, and bind Web applications to it.
>
> We'd probably want Web applications to support custom HTML interfaces,
> rather than having a generic (utilitarian) user interface for every
> application.

I ever died on the problem, that every service programm could be activated
only once per activation group. Pressing F4 in the order subfile to select
the custumor clears the state of the order process. There might be out some
guys even managing this with rpg and DTAQs and..., but for me it seems more
easy to solve such problems using java.

> But if we were to go that route, wouldn't we need to consider the cost of
> either inheriting (Java) or binding with (ILE) a comparatively large
> "utility" for every maintenance program or Servlet we deploy?  Wouldn't
> there be performance implications according to the number of programs or
> Servlets deployed?
>
> > For reasons not 100% clear to me.. the AS/400 Java
> > performance seems to stink.  I've had and helped 3
> > clients move their apps to Windows and see the
> > performance improve dramatically.
>
> It could be the speed of the CPU.  IBM synchronizes CPU speed with CPW
> targets.  A box running a 4 year old 200 MHz Northstar chip, might actually
> be 4 times slower than a box running a 7 year old 100 MHz Apache chip,
> according to CPU bound benchmarks.  Hint: get a fast CPU.
>
> Wintel boxes have cheap, fast CPU's, but they don't manage complex
> workloads effectively.  Try running a large Oracle database and Websphere
> on a single Wintel server, generating reports at the same time as serving
> Web pages, and you'll appreciate the performance capabilities of OS/400.

Why should anyone run database and websphere on one box??? And doing it this
way on a single processor as400 doesn't really work too.

Dieter Bender

> Nathan.

mfG

Dieter Bender