* Yes, it seems to.

a) The Verification Cache seems to help a lot. Check it out and try it:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/perfmgmt/pdf/BasicJavaPerf.pdf

b) It is disturbing to see a huge $$$ AS/400 get trounced by a  c h e a p
PC. A wise man in Rochester said there is no substitute for MHz. I relate
that to when I was a young motorhead arguing big block versus small block.
Given the same everything else, the guy with them most cubic inches wins. I
have no idea of all the implications of the following, but I have often
wondered, if the MHz is so important to running java and java is a strategic
technology that the iSeries wants to be good at, why can't they build in
some more MHz just for java? i.e. additional processor card with some more
PowerPC chips on it just for java, or, heaven forbid, cheap Intel or AMD
processors, just for java, so we can run java like other platforms?

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:05:28 -0800
from: "Paul Holm" <pholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Strategic Java Usage

Other related random thoughts and experiences:

*  For reasons not 100% clear to me.. the AS/400 Java performance seems to
stink.  I've had and helped 3 clients move their apps to Windows and see the
performance improve dramatically.  My understanding of why is:  a)  The
AS400 JVM goes through an extra step of "byte code verification"  for
security reasons   b)  in terms of processor speed and RAM, Java is very
speed and RAM hungry,  I've watched while a "desktop Windows" running at 3
GHZ with 2GB of RAM runs circles around a decent size AS400.  Rochester,
better circle the wagons here..  Bad story and I know you are working on
it..