Dieter mentioned that none of the big dynamic web sites use the Java/RPG
mix. I don't know what big dynamic sites he is talking about, but one
big dynamic site I know about is:

www.oreillyauto.com

I designed this site last year from the ground up, and it uses a mix of
RPG and Java. The RPG is minimal, but it provides the pricing for the
parts. The response time decreased(got better) when I switched it from
an SQL stored procedure to an RPG externally stored procedure, and I was
able to re-use existing business logic. It would be 3x's faster than it
already is if there wasn't a DDM involved. I was able to use that same
stored procedure in other projects. So, I got better response time,
better scalability, and it required less work when I did that in RPG
than in any other method. That site is used by at least tens of
thousands of people everyday, and that number has been constantly
increasing for the last 3 or 4 years.

It is a good design (if I do say so myself), not the best as far as
functionality, but not bad, and a lot of people like it. I tried many
different ways of creating my stored procedures for that project. I even
tried Java externally stored procedures... Java was MUCH(around 10x)
slower when used in that way.

When you use the right tool for the right job you get the best results,
and in the case of rapid, transaction based activity, on the 400, RPG is
usually. That only makes sense. If you can't understand that, I would
have to at least think about suggesting you pursue another career.

Java is NOT the end-all-be-all of programming languages. In fact, I have
a hidden hatred for the language and some of the stupid hoops it makes
you jump through to do the simplest things. I am not going to list them
here since that would be a waste of time. That being said, I also do not
like RPG... I find it very annoying... again I will not explain myself
so as not to waste time. However, they are both good for what they are
both good for, which are different things.

I didn't want to jump into the middle of this, but I agree with Joe for
the most part. I don't know if it is the language barrier, but so far
Dieter's arguments have been less than convincing.

Anyway, I would rather not join in on the dead horse beating party. So,
take this as an example of a large dynamic site that uses the Java/RPG
mix. It runs on a 400, so that mix just makes sense on that platform. I
don't know how useful any of this has been, but I decided I would throw
in my .02.

Dan Feather
dfeather@xxxxxxxxxxxxx