I apologize in advance if this belongs in some other list. There are so many
components I don't know about, I wasn't sure where to post it!

I am trying to learn about EJBs. I am running WAS 4.0.2 AE but without all
the other IBM WebSphere development tools, so I just have the basics like
Application Assembly Tool (AAT).

I am working with exercise 4.1 from the Workbook for EJBs, 3rd Edition by
Kyle Brown. This exercise deals with cabins on a ship.

The EJB in question is (as I understand it) a container managed entity bean
that uses JDBC to access a simple DB2 table (physical file, to me) on the
same iSeries as WAS is runing on. After a couple days of fighting with this
thing, I finally have the EJB deployed and can run the two sample client
programs successfully. However I have two questions on my mind:

1) How do I control what library the file/database (CABINEJB) is in? I tried
creating it (via STRSQL NAMING(*SYS)) in my own library. When I ran the
client, it complained that CABINEJB in CABINEJB type *FILE was not found. So
I just created the library it wanted and put the file there. That worked
around the problem but not good enough. I see there are some fields in the
AAT that talk about database and schema. Can I use thes somehow to make it
look for the file in a library of my choosing?

2) My next problem was an error that the file was "not valid for the
operation." This turned out to be that I had to turn on journaling for the
file. I have done lots of reading about isolation levels over the last day
and I have tried to use AAT to reduce the isolation level, but it still
demands journaling. I expected my change in AAT to be reflected somewhere,
but in fact, I don't see anywhere (in the XML deployment descriptors?) where
my change of isolation level actually appears. I found an article in
InfoCenter DB2 SQL reference that talks about an isolation level of No
Commit, but that is not available as an option in AAT and I can't figure out
where to manually interject it. What is the deal on this? Can't I access a
simple physical file without journaling?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

-Marty