1) How do I control what library the file/database (CABINEJB) is in? I
tried
creating it (via STRSQL NAMING(*SYS)) in my own library. When I ran the
client, it complained that CABINEJB in CABINEJB type *FILE was not found.
So
I just created the library it wanted and put the file there. That worked
around the problem but not good enough. I see there are some fields in the
AAT that talk about database and schema. Can I use thes somehow to make it
look for the file in a library of my choosing?

1A) The schema represents the library (or collection) in which the tables
will be looked for. So you would use this field in the AAT tool to specify
where to look. The schema can also be specified on the Datasource resource
in WebSphere, so that if you did not specify schema in AAT when generating
the deployed code for your EJB, it would use the schema specified on the
datasource. When specifying the schema on the datasource you can add it to
the databaseName property. So if your databaseName is *LOCAL  you would
specify *LOCAL/CABINEJB   if you wanted a schema (library/collection) of
CABINEJB

2) My next problem was an error that the file was "not valid for the
operation." This turned out to be that I had to turn on journaling for the
file.
Journaling would have been on automatically if you used SQL to create
library (collection in SQL) instead of CRTLIB. If you have product 57xxST1
on the system you can do this as follows:
STRSQL
CREATE COLLECTION CABINEJB

For CMP (Container Managed Persistence) entity EJBs, there is no way out of
the requirement to have journaling on that I know of.

I am not sure what to say on changing the isolation level at this point.

Also are you aware of the WAS for iSeries documentation center which can be
found off the product web site,
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/software/websphere/wsappserver/,

- just click Documentation in left-hand frame and continue drilling down
from there.  There is a Data Access section that is iSeries specific as
well as a Programming section that might be helpful.  I think that the
iSeries docs used in conjunction with the InfoCenter for the non-iSeries
platforms can be useful. (note: iSeries docs and InfoCenter are each meant
to be a complete standalone reference though).

Frances Stewart
WebSphere Application Server for iSeries 400
IBM Rochester

                      "Urbanek, Marty"
                      <Marty_Urbanek@st        To:
"'java400-l@midrange.com'" <java400-l@midrange.com>
                      ercomm.com>              cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  EJB JDBC Isolation
                      java400-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      06/06/2002 12:08
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      java400-l

I apologize in advance if this belongs in some other list. There are so
many
components I don't know about, I wasn't sure where to post it!

I am trying to learn about EJBs. I am running WAS 4.0.2 AE but without all
the other IBM WebSphere development tools, so I just have the basics like
Application Assembly Tool (AAT).

I am working with exercise 4.1 from the Workbook for EJBs, 3rd Edition by
Kyle Brown. This exercise deals with cabins on a ship.

The EJB in question is (as I understand it) a container managed entity bean
that uses JDBC to access a simple DB2 table (physical file, to me) on the
same iSeries as WAS is runing on. After a couple days of fighting with this
thing, I finally have the EJB deployed and can run the two sample client
programs successfully. However I have two questions on my mind:

1) How do I control what library the file/database (CABINEJB) is in? I
tried
creating it (via STRSQL NAMING(*SYS)) in my own library. When I ran the
client, it complained that CABINEJB in CABINEJB type *FILE was not found.
So
I just created the library it wanted and put the file there. That worked
around the problem but not good enough. I see there are some fields in the
AAT that talk about database and schema. Can I use thes somehow to make it
look for the file in a library of my choosing?

2) My next problem was an error that the file was "not valid for the
operation." This turned out to be that I had to turn on journaling for the
file. I have done lots of reading about isolation levels over the last day
and I have tried to use AAT to reduce the isolation level, but it still
demands journaling. I expected my change in AAT to be reflected somewhere,
but in fact, I don't see anywhere (in the XML deployment descriptors?)
where
my change of isolation level actually appears. I found an article in
InfoCenter DB2 SQL reference that talks about an isolation level of No
Commit, but that is not available as an option in AAT and I can't figure
out
where to manually interject it. What is the deal on this? Can't I access a
simple physical file without journaling?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

-Marty