  • Subject: RE: beans and JSPs and stuff...
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:34:05 -0600

> >I assign classes (for the 100th time).
>
> No, not for the 100th time Brad.  This is the first time
> you've explained it.  Because otherwise I would have made the
> following observations a little earlier:

How else would I apply styles using stylesheets?

> >mycgipgm reads data, any env. vars it needs to decide what
> styles to >apply,
> >and reads a database and outputs a table.  Same as your
> widget, or the >code
> >behind it.
>
> >Stylesheet defines font, color, style, etc of the classes.
> Pretty >simple
> >actually.  If you want to change styles between pages, you
> can set the
> >stylesheet location accordingly.
> -------
> How do I assign different colors to, say, different columns
> in a table?
>
> Or, let's say I want four different tables, each with it's
> own background color, each containing different fields from a
> record.  How do I do that?  Who assigns the four different
> classes?  I need four different programs, each with its own
> hardcoded class names.

See, here's the main problem.  Why do you insist that I must hardcode in my
CGI programs?  Until you can get past the fact that just because it's RPG I
have to hardcode everything, there's no reason to continue this discussion
because you're arguing in circles.  sure, I hardcode things like "<td>" but
I don't hardcode classnames.

Again, I don't think because I'm a programmer I'm designing the UI.  I'm
putting out the data and letting the user decide what the data looks like
using stylesheets.  As far as what is placed where, SSIs work for that.

Like I said, I've done a crapload of CGI programming and have tricks for
pretty much anything.  I have admitted that I'm not as up on Java and OO as
you and others, but at least give me the benefit that I know what I'm
talking about when it's what I do have have done millions of lines of code
with.  You ask the same of me and Java.  I ask the same of you and CGI
programming.

True or false:
The end result of a JSP or CGI program is a markup language that forms a web
page.

Brad