>No, but it sounds like you are comparing the most simple JSP script to the
>most complex servlet code.  Nearly zero isn't zero.  To use JSPs you have to
>understand OO and methods, classes, etc.  Just like you said.  That's not
>"easy".
------------
I'm confused.  What in OO do you have to understand in order to invoke a method
in a JSP?  It's like calling a procedure in any other language.  The only
people who DON'T understand this basic concept are RPG programmers, because
until RPG ILE we didn't have the concept of procedures and functions.  In the
simplest implementation, You need TWO pieces of syntax:

<BEAN name="widget" type="WidgetType"></BEAN>
and
<%= widget.setStyle("bgcolor", "green"); %>
and
<% widget %>

For slightly more sophisticated features (such as style settings), if you've
properly designed your widgets, then you create a small library of widgets and
methods, and away they go.  In your case, they're going to have to have a list
of style names, so it's not that much different.  And with properly designed
components, the JSPs ARE indeed the simplest of JSPs: instantiate a bean and
call it's methods.  That's it.

>If I have to tell a web programmer which methods and classes to
>use, I may as well just do it myself.
-------------
As I read this, I'm struck that a web designer would consider this statement to
be the height of arrogance.  Every decent web designer I know knows enough
about JavaScript to be able to handle calling a method of an object.  They've
been writing procedures and handling arrays and loops and variables for quite
some time.  You won't have to hold their hands and teach them, Bradley, they
may well be able to teach YOU a thing or two about basic Java syntax.

On the other hand, if you have to design your code to be used by someone else,
you have to do things in a logical, consistent manner that can be documented
and explained.  And if you don't design things well, it's much easier to do all
the work yourself.  Personally, I enjoy exposing my methods to the outside
world - it gets me invaluable feedback on how I can do things better.