  • Subject: RE: Aaron Bartell's RPG/Java comparison
  • From: "Fred Kulack" <kulack@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:10:44 -0600

On 02/14/2001 at 09:33:52 AM, owner-java400-l@midrange.com wrote:
> Ahah!!!! so "flashy" IS one of the keys to what language some chose to
use.
> It's a programming language, not tennis shoes.
>
> Define "flashy" as it applies to a programming language, and explain how
if
> a language is flasy, why one would want/not want to use it.
>
> This is not directed at the original poster, but anyone who thinks
> programming in a language because it's "flashy" is a good reason.

Warning.
I'm a complete Java biggot.
I admit it. I have no problem with it.

<personal opinions>
WHAT?!?! Of COURSE flash makes a difference!

Flashy is like being cool.
You can't describe it, you just know. ;-)
Its also largely driven off of what other people
think.

The reason it makes a difference is because with enough
flash, it drives real technical and business improvements.
Its like, coming from the grass roots man... (ok, bad 60's reference
finished)

- Flash drives people to look at and learn the language.

- The more people looking at and learning the language, the more
  skills are available

- The more skills are available, the faster production and
  time to market becomes.

- As long as I have legitimate technical skills,
  I can get paid more knowing a flashy stuff.

- The more people looking at the language, the more improvements,
  enhancements, standards, features, etc get put into the
  language.

- Don't minimize 'coolness' as a legitimate cause for VERY
  rapid technical progress.
  A stereotype in my mind: many people I've seen interested
  in Java because of its flash and coolness tend to be very open
  to extending, expanding, and doing OTHER things with it.
  These 'other things' end up DIRECTLY driving quality of the
  language or things available through the language.

- Any time you have creative, energetic people who are
  easily unsatisfied (I'd say these are pretty typical of
  people who give in easily to flash and hype) together,
  they change things for the better.
  I.e. openness and ability to expand with regard to flash, cool,
  neat factor can end up becoming HUGE technically.

Anyone who keeps standing still will simply get
left behind in this environment (it may take a while,
and the technical advantages they have at the beginning
may be significant, and there are 'critical mass' issues)
but, just the same, it will happen.

</personal opinions>

"Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything
 to do with my muscles in this place?" ... "Free your mind."
Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus in 'The Matrix'.

Fred A. Kulack  -  AS/400e  Java and Java DB2 access, Jdbc, JTA, etc...
IBM in Rochester, MN  (Phone: 507.253.5982   T/L 553-5982)
mailto:kulack@us.ibm.com   Personal: mailto:kulack@bresnanlink.net
AOL Instant Messenger: Home:FKulack  Work:FKulackWrk