  • Subject: Re: Converting programs
  • From: booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 00:41:21 GMT

"...comes directly from Utopia" wouldn't be exactly the phrase I'd choose.
 <bg>

I've done every step that you list but never from RPG all the way through
to Java.  My experience tells me that the RPG to RPGLE conversion works
but takes some tweaking and usually includes repairing file definitions
and replacing a few instances of code that just won't convert.

The conversion from RPGLE to VARPG is not useful.  It can happen and the
books are not lying, but the finished product is just too embarrassing to
show.  It is ugly, the screens are crowded, and it is still cycle-driven,
not event-driven.

I've also done the conversion from VARPG to Java and that works, mostly,
but its still a new product.  There is unsupported code that has to be
fixed manually.

All in all the proposed tasks are a lot of work and the end product will
be unusable in my opinion.  Even if all the conversions of code go
smoothly you are still faced with the "cycle-driven" vs. "event-driven"
design base and as long as you avoid event driven programs you have failed
the goal of the conversion.

It won't be clear to you what I am driving at when I say event driven
programs until you experience the concept of  event-driven code, but I'd
bet a sandwich that once experienced you will never willingly code a
cycle-driven interactive user program again.

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com

Pluta@nexgensoftware.com